Thoughts On My Group Project’s Direction: Part 2

Image via http://cartoonsnap.blogspot.com/2012/06/storyboarding-tips-from-dreamworks.html
Image via http://cartoonsnap.blogspot.com/2012/06/storyboarding-tips-from-dreamworks.html

After creating a storyboard with my group members, I feel generally happy about the outcome of our project progress thus far. I think our narrative and goal vision is on point and aligned, and I’m very proud of the level of contribution all of my fellow group members have displayed.

However, progress is not without its challenges. One of the main challenges we faced as a group during this story-boarding stage was miscommunication, particularly in a virtual context. As most of this particular process was completed asynchronously in a digital environment, there was some disconnect between individual group member visions and expectations, as well as some miscommunication and misunderstandings during the collaboration process via email. However, we worked through this issue with a little sensitivity and communication skills, and were able to get back on track!

Another challenge we faced was being able to coordinate and include certain creative elements of the storyboard process using the digital tools we had on hand (i.e. email and Google Presentation in the Google Drive, as well as OneDrive, previously). For instance, we struggled a bit with including the artwork for our storyboards as we found it a bit difficult to coordinate including hand-created artwork in an evolving digital presentation that was constantly being changed and expanded upon. Again, in the end, we came up with a solution that everyone was comfortable and happy with.

One of the things that changed during the story-boarding step was that we added more detailed character cues and context for certain scenes, as well as added in a draft of the script, an addition that somewhat polarized our group in terms of identifying its necessity for the storyboard, but ultimately stayed in. One element that I’d love to see in a final draft of the storyboard might be camera angle cues and camera movement directions. Finally, my ultimate vision for this project is for it to be funny, informative, make sense, have a great flow, and also have good, positive energy!

Advertisements

Thoughts On My Group Project’s Direction: Part 1

Image via http://filmint.nu/?p=9923
Image via http://filmint.nu/?p=9923

Historically, group projects can be a total horror show. But as my group moves forward with our final group project, I’m quite happy with the way our creative direction is shaping up. We decided to go with a horror parody (i.e. playing with motifs from The Exorcist) to liken a prospective employee going to a job interview without their resume to a priest showing up to an exorcism without being prepared with his tools (e.g. holy water, bible, etc.) and basically failing his “interview” process.

I personally hope that our video plays humorously and doesn’t look too lo-fi in terms of production. (Of course, I know our tools will be limited, so I have reasonable expectations.) I also hope that our video doesn’t play out too long as I believe that this types of video need to get to the point and not drag out else we run the risk of losing the audience. I hope our script reads natural and not too cheesy, too!

For the storyboard, I hope our message can be clearly communicated and I hope that our scenes are clear and make sense for the narrative, as well as showcase the overall tone of the scene as well as the direction of the camera angles. Overall, I’m really happy with our initial creative direction, the collaboration we’ve done so far with one another, as well as how everyone is contributing to the group.